Traditional gravy made with meatballs and fresh pasta. I saw a dish in Italy that was basically pasta sheets instead of macaroni, so I wanted to make something along those lines for this gravy. I used the 5 lb 10 Oz can of San Marzano Organic Peeled Tomatoes for the base. I like how thin/delicate their peeled tomatoes are – definitely goes well with a thin pasta. I topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. No better way to spend a Sunday- enjoy!
For the Meatballs
- 2 lbs 80% Ground Beef
- 3 Garlic Cloves – Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Parsley – Chopped
- 1/2 Cup 4C Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 TSP Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 TSP Onion Powder
For the Gravy:
- 1 5 lb 10 Oz Can Peeled Tomatoes – San Marzano
- 2 Basil leafs
- 1 TSP Oregano
- 1/2 Onion – Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic – Chopped
For the Fresh Pasta:
- 1 1/2 Cups Semolina Flour
- 2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 TSP Olive Oil
For the Meatballs:
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick olive oil spray.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Form into balls (I made them a little bigger than a golf ball) and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 40 minutes – turn halfway.
- Start the Gravy (see below).
- Transfer meatballs, while hot, into the gravy.
For the Gravy:
- Heat a large pot with 2 TBS olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, cook for 5-10 minutes until they start to sweat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add peeled tomatoes from can, and basil leafs, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups cold water, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, simmer with cover off. Repeat this process for 3-4 hours. Stir every 15 minutes.
- When meatballs are done add them to the gravy.
For the Fresh Pasta
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until dough forms.
- Transfer to a flat surface dusted with flour and knead for 5 minutes.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, roll out pasta to thickness number 5 on the kitchen aid past machine.
- Cut by hand into thick pappardelle strips.
- Let dry for 1 hour then refrigerate or freeze.
- Boil water, add salt.
- Cook 3 minutes until al dente.