One of my favorites! Check out my instagram page “wesaygravy” to watch this made in my ‘highlights’ section.
- 1 or 2 Dozen Littleneck Clams – Cleaned and rinsed
- 1 lb/Package Linguine
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley – Chopped
- 1 TSP Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup White Wine
- Half a loaf, or 8 pieces Sourdough Bread
Prepare the stuffing:
- Before you begin, get a large pot going with water to boil the pasta in.
- Cut the crust off the sourdough bread pieces and discard it – you don’t want the crust.
- Place 4 garlic cloves in s food processor and pulse.
- Add bread, and blend until it is the texture of coarse salt.
- Heat a dutch oven or non stick pan with olive oil on med-high heat.
- Add breadcrumb mixture, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 10 minutes until the breadcrumbs become golden brown then set aside.
- Keep this pot with it’s olive oil
Prepare the Pasta/Clams:
- Start cooking linguine – set time for 8 minutes (you are going to finish cooking it in another pot). SALT the water before adding pasta.
- In the same pot as the breadcrumbs were cooked in, add 2 more TBS olive oil and the remaining 4 cloves of chopped garlic on medium heat.
- The garlic only needs to cook for 10 seconds – add white wine immediately, and red pepper flakes.
- Let the wine reduce for 1 minute.
- Add the clams, and cover. Cook 5 minutes.
- Shake the Pot to open the clams.
- Open after 5 minutes, and take the clams out that have opened with tongs and set aside in a bowl with foil over it to keep warm. If some clams didn’t open, cover again for another minute. Discard them if they don’t open after that.
- Add 1.5 cups pasta water to the pot which now has olive oil, garlic, wine, the juice from the clams, and pasta water from where the linguine is cooking.
- Add the pasta to this pot that the clams were cooked in and finish cooking 4 more minutes.
- Stir the pasta around to release the starch.
- Take off the heat, add 3/4 of the breadcrumb mixture, 1 TBS butter, and chopped parsley. Mix.
- Add clams back into the pot, mix.
- Plate, and top with more breadcrumbs and parsley.